Wednesday, July 13, 2005

TIME OUT WITH THE ANGELS… HAVN’T DONE THIS FOR A LONG TIME…

(This is 3 days overdue ><)
It has been ages since I’ve watched a movie in the cinemas (don’t really have the time, got other better things to do)… Having heard that BG is organizing one of such sort (heard that HATI.org came up with this movie idea in order for the “angels” to finish up whatever remaining hours they still have in order to gain their “full wings”), I went along… But this time around, it was at the outdoor one, instead of the usual cinema… More convenient, if you asked me… Enjoyed myself to the fullest (especially when I found out my hopes about certain stuff have been granted, hehe… I was actually setting hopes about something, and was glad that it came to reality anyway…) Well, since I'm out to enjoy, I just cudnt help it but go all out and do things without having the thought about how it would be a trouble to the people around and stuff… Besides, they (the volunteers) were very willing to help, and didn’t mind the trouble at all… One of them told me, “To us, there’s no such word as ‘trouble’ in our dictionary, it’s only whether we’re willing or not… And the fact that we’d actually signed up for the camp, means that we’re ready to go all out…” So, the wild side of Elaine has been revealed, haha… We had a camp in early April where able-bodied (we call them volunteers) and disabled came together for a fun time of sharing and getting to know each other… The purpose of the camp was firstly to get the disabled to come forth, to participate and be more open and involved rather than being passive and shying away into our “shells”… And not forgetting to also spread the message that people with disabilities (PWD) could also do things abled-bodied can… A few examples are such that we could still help out in daily chores, still go out to work, have fun in the outdoors etc… But the MAIN objective of the camp is to instill the message of unity and break the mindset of discrimination towards the less fortunate (now when I say the less fortunate, it not only refers to the PWD’s, but also the poor and the orphans)…


With that, one friend commented that I have truly changed a lot compared to the time when I initially set foot in BG… Got feedback from them about me saying that I have changed from being the very quiet, withdrawn person to a now more outspoken person, in fact very talkative, having an extra boost of boldness to just be natural and start doing things that I love doing, mainly just being my true self… Well, I could probably agree to that particular statement, haha… Seems like you’re getting to know me well, Chu… *winkz*

One thing I know is that I feel really thankful and appreciative of those volunteers who actually took time off just to spent quality hours with us, not only on the movie day, but also times when we’d actually personally ring them up for a lil help… Not that we’re deprived of attention, don’t get me wrong, but just to see your willingness, hmmm, wonderful!! Definitely wanna acknowledge them for all the hard work and effort they’ve put in to help the PWD’s and the less fortunate ones… And the fact that they were even willing to take half day leave off from work, just to offer their service to BG (referring to the launching at YB Dato’ Dr. Ng Yen Yen’s office) really makes it more worthwhile, heheh…

Many of us were more open to each other, because of the lessons that we learnt about one another during the camp (the able-bodied to the PWD’s and vice versa)… For example, the expectations from the PWD’s towards the volunteers, and it’s not surprising for them to have expectations from us as well… Volunteer 1: I hope that PWD’s don’t take us for granted and expect us to know what is it that you want without opening up and telling us specifically about your requests… We are also your friend, so don’t think that we’re unfriendly people and therefore let you have the mindset that it will be difficult for you to approach us for help, that’s totally wrong!! Volunteer 2: Most of the time, it’s not that we are sombong and don’t wanna start a conversation with you, but just that, we’re afraid the things that we say or touch on happens to be some sensitive issue to you all… Then and there, they got our approval that it is actually alright for them to ask… And if it is really personal and sensitive issues to us, we’d let them know… (At least I won’t be offended by you asking all those questions… It’s like, I’ve been answering these questions for the past 18 years of my life, so what’s the big deal?)

It was indeed a wonderful camp and I would say the whole camp was a success!! At the end of the day, hearts were joined, friendships were formed… Thanx to the organizing committee (you know who you are, hehe), we now have new friendships to thank God for… GO ANGELS!!

No comments: