Friday, March 31, 2006

I WANT A WIRA AEROBACK!!

I have been constantly wondering if there is a possibility of me being able to drive =D imagine the freedom that comes with it *winkz* not forgetting that life would be so much more fun compared to being dependent on people to chauffer me around… even then, I’d have to take into consideration their distance, availability and capability… wudnt it be much more convenient that I juz grab the car keys at any time and juz drive out without having to wait for the availability of other frens & family? Anyways, in response to that desire of mine, some commented “why not” and others voiced their objections in view of my disability…

“how can you drive with only one dominant hand??” [if someone WITHOUT A RIGHT HAND can, why not me??]

“Why not? There’s always auto, to make life easier.”

“What about the brakes and accelerator?”

“Don’t forget that a disabled’s car can be uniquely modified to suit each different disability. Things like hand brakes and “hand accelerator” DO exist, you know? Juz FYI”

“Okok, I know you juz can't wait to get behind those wheels, right??”

“Yes, that’s for sure!! And when that time comes, I wudnt mind chauffeuring you in return, haha…”

“Aiyah, juz make sure it comes to past first before dreaming too much about it la, please…”

Well, to prove them wrong, one of my PWD friend has gotten his license and is independently driving around!! Of course his wife would occasionally be the one who’d help him with getting his wheelchair in and out of the car… now, even my own parents were doubting de possibility of me behind the wheels, haha… well, there has been rumors that Cerebral Palsy (CP) persons are most of the time not approved to drive due to the signs of disability that would affect him, especially when on the road, involving other drivers as well… but of course, that depends on the level of severity the CP person has… and thank God the CP level I have is a very very mild one, that if I dont deliberately mention it, no one wud ever know that I'm a CP victim, haha…

It was when I started working in JICA that transport was an issue, so again I dug up the driving topic, which, for some reason, have been suppressed… Finally, they gave in to the suggestion of me commuting to work on my own (if I ever passed the test, that is)!! Juz to satisfy my bugging & pestering about driving, which he wasn’t very much in favour of initially, my dad gave me the greenlight to consult my therapist about it, and so consultation began in mid february recently… after one session of assessment, I was put in front of the steering wheels, juz to monitor how far a smooth rotation my left hand can do… t’was kinda difficult initially, but after 10 minutes of consistent rotation, the therapist was quite pleased with the progress I showed *yay*

after 3 sessions of doing the same thing, he now wanted to concentrate on my foot, which of course are the brakes & accelerator, stating that IF I could get used to them, it’s not necessary for modified hand ones… now the major part is how to get my wheelchair in to the car, haha (look at the complicated stuff a PWD has to go thru juz to get her license) Question is, once I get myself in the drivers’ seat, am I able to carry the wheelchair, bring it over to the passenger’s side? Thank God I have the choice of detaching the wheels and footrest, and arm rest if I wanted to, juz so I could get the whole thing in to the passenger side!! So, yea, those were things I had to learn, and still learning, in my occupational therapy sessions relating to driving…

ooh, I was also advised on what car would be most practical for me, haha… KENARI, can you imagine?? He’s gotta be kidding!! Of all the cars, Kenari is one that I dislike the most!! Esther, rber our inside joke abt Kenari? A di******ed car (take note of the spelling *lol*) Anyways, his reason was becoz it’s high and therefore it could fit the wheelchair… what?? Can't it fit in a wira?? Or a waja?? It’s not gonna make any diff since I’ll be putting it in the front passenger seat if I go out alone anyways, haha… well, at least those are my main two choices: WIRA AEROBACK!! If not, a WAJA would oso be fine (seems like both are Malaysian cars, ekeke)… Esther, stop laughing!! And dont u dare tease me about it *one hand on my waist and one finger pointing at you in a warning sign* wahahaha… Anyways, yes, it has got to be an aeroback for the Wira, wahaha =p yes, very fussy… but who cares?? It’s MY car, so MY taste *lol*

To all my friends (and faithful “drivers” out there), this is for you =D hopefully, the report from the therapist would be a positive one, so when I am approved of my license, it’ll be my turn to drive you around… to 2 of my close friends, anywhere you want, how far you want… at your service!! [you know who you are *winkz*] eheh =p

No comments: